The Fourth Grade teachers would like to send you a huge welcome! We know that this will be an exciting and rewarding year for all of us. Fourth Grade is challenging and builds on everything learned in the Third Grade in order to prepare for the Fifth Grade. We encourage students to work to their fullest potential as we teach them to become more independent.
As in all schools in the state of Virginia, the Fourth Graders at North Elementary will take a Reading and Math Standard of Learning test in May. In addition, they will be tested in Fifth Grade on the Standards taught in writing and science. In order to prepare for these challenges the following programs and events are put into place!
- Accelerated Reading- All students will be given a set number of points to earn each nine weeks through daily reading. These points are based on their own reading level as determined by their Z.P.D. Each student will work to earn their points while keeping their percent correct average above 85%. “AR” counts as 25% of each students Language Arts grade. It is so important that children develop a love for reading. It is hoped by using the AR program students will be challenged to read increasing their reading skills.
- Novel Based reading lessons.
- Before School Tutoring
- Computer Labs
- Interactive Achievement Testing- This testing is done after each 9-week. It helps us to find areas that need to be retaught.
- Interactive Note Taking
- Each student participates in becoming a published author. Either independently or collectively.
- A Science Fair or Science/Math Day is held yearly.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in fundraisers and classroom projects.
- Gingerbread houses, Pie Tasting, Pancake Breakfast for Christmas, AR Reward Hats, Science Experiments, Design Websites, Creative Videos, Penpals
- A yearly Field Trip
- Hands-On Experiences
These are only a few examples of the things that children will experience at North in the Fourth Grade! We are excited about working with parents and students so that our school and community thrive!
4th GRADE SUPPLY LIST
Book bag (no rolling bags for safety reasons)
5 – THREE SUBJECT wide ruled notebooks (no one subject notebooks)
1 – marbled composition notebook
1 pack of wide ruled notebook paper (will be collected by the teacher)
1 school box (plastic – to hold desk items other than writing utensils)
60 – sharpened #2 pencils (mechanical pencils are allowed)
2 pink pearl erasers
1 box of 24 count crayons
2 red ink pens
10 JUMBO glue sticks
3 jumbo highlighters
1 pair of scissors
2 boxes of tissues
1 container of bleach wipes
1 large bottle of hand sanitizer (12 ounces or greater)
1 pack of expo erasable markers
1 folder of your choice with pockets
1 set of ear buds
**Red Communication folder (This can be purchased at school for $1.35)
Girls: 1 box of Ziploc sandwich bags
Boys: 1 box of Ziploc gallon bags
*Supplies may have to be replenished throughout the year
This is a generic supply list. Your child’s teacher may request additional items.