North Elementary School's History
North Elementary was originally constructed as an eight classroom shell building in 1963 to replace three smaller schools: Burrowsville, Harrison Grove, and Old Academy in the north central part of Prince George County. This building had no auxiliary or service areas until 1970. An extensive addition was added containing classrooms, cafetorium and kitchen, teachers' workrooms, covered walkways, and extensive site development including blacktop parking, a play area, and playground equipment. The kindergarten unit was added in 1974. In 2009, a new two story facility was constructed. Our new facility is located behind the old North Elementary. It currently houses PreK-Grade 5. The old North Elementary was renovated and is now used by Prince George County Recreation Department.
The Mission of North Elementary School, in partnership with parents and the community, will provide a rigorous educational program in a safe environment, that prepares all students for post-secondary education and the workforce and to be responsible citizens in a global society.
- We provide quality education in a safe environment.
- We are committed to understanding and meeting the needs of our school community.
- We trust and respect each individual so that all may experience pride and joy in their work.
- We are committed to continuous improvement.
The staff of North Elementary School will strive to provide an educational setting in which each pupil, consistent with their individual abilities and educational needs, will:
Develop competence in the basic learning skills
- Develop the intellectual skills of rational thought and creativity
- Acquire knowledge of science and technology
- Progress on the basis of achievement
- Qualify for further education and/or employment
- Establish personal standards of ethical behavior and moral choice
- Participate as a responsible family member and citizen
- Develop a positive and realistic concept of self and others
- Practice sound habits of personal and physical fitness
- Acquire an appreciation for the environment and a desire to improve their natural surroundings
- Develop an appreciation of the arts
- Acquire a basic understanding and appreciation of democracy and the free enterprise system